Thursday, February 10, 2011

HOW MANY WAYS CAN I SAY THIS

I've read both passages before, but this is the first time I've seem them as two bookends. It is like Paul is stuttering, and repeating himself as many as he can to help us snap out of it and wake up.

AS IF...."HOW MANY WAYS CAN I SAY THIS GUYS???"

‎1 Cor. 1:17-18 For Christ did not send me to baptize but to preach the gospel, and not with words of eloquent wisdom, lest the cross of Christ be emptied of its power. [18] For the word of the cross is folly to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.


1 Cor. 2:1-5 And I, when I came to you, brothers, did not come proclaiming to you the testimony of God with lofty speech or wisdom. [2] For I decided to know nothing among you except Jesus Christ and him crucified. [3] And I was with you in weakness and in fear and much trembling, [4] and my speech and my message were not in plausible words of wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power, [5] that your faith might not rest in the wisdom of men but in the power of God.


Despite 1:18 being True, and in fact PRECISELY because it is true, does Paul insist on 1:17...which is repeated in chapter 2.