Wednesday, February 23, 2011

DRAW NEAR TO GOD

The other day I was thinking about Hebrews 4:16 by vague recollection not by direct reading of it or study.  I knew what it said roughly, and here is what it says exactly...."Hebrews 4:16 Let us then with confidence draw near to the throne of grace, that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need.

I was thinking with sorrow, "Yea, but my old nature is so vile, corrupt, and unclean, it seems extremely audacious for me to approach the throne in prayer, knowing how miserable my mind, heart, and actions are each day; and though I am a new creation, how even more appauling that I nonetheless fall so short of maturity in Christ...." and so I continued to mope.

Tonight, a thought hit me, and it was this, "Ok, yea, but which is more audacious to approach the throne of grace knowing your spiritual poverty...OR...viewing the life, work, perfection, purity, obedience, death, blood, resurrection of Jesus as unsufficient to bring you to the throne of grace?"  I then realized that my thoughts the first night were more foolish in overlooking the accomplishment of Jesus as the grounds for my access to the throne.  I could not think of the exact verse, but I was thinking about something in Romans 3, and now I know it was this:  Romans 3:26   It was to show his righteousness at the present time, so that he might be just and the justifier of the one who has faith in Jesus.

God is JUST towards Jesus, that it is proper and right to accept and honor His blood redemption of sinners.  Hence, it is also JUST for me to approach the throne on the basis of Jesus' work.  Not that I am in a position to judge Jesus, but that I surely must not....."trodden under foot the Son of God, and hath counted the blood of the covenant, wherewith he was sanctified, an unholy thing," 

Then as these thoughts blessed me, I decided to look at the original context of Hebrews 4, and this great introduction was made by the writer...the same point I needed to know concerning approaching the throne of grace.

Hebrews 4:14  Seeing then that we have a great high priest, that is passed into the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold fast our profession. [15] For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin.

1.  We have a high priest.
2.  We have a great high priest.
3.  The writer goes at length in this letter to explain the superiority of Jesus as our High Priest.
4.  This short kernel sums it up:  He was in all points tempted like as we are, YET WITHOUT SIN.

And this introduces verse 16, which I was rembering out of context.

Hebrews 4:16   Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need.

We come boldly, but NEVER on the basis of our past, present, future--- performance, purity, ability.  The word "therefore" points us back to the Great High Priest who is WITHOUT SIN, and that is the basis for us approaching the throne.  We come boldy, and ALWAYS on the basis of our High Priest who is without sin.  He is the Priest, He is the Lamb, He is the Door, He is the Mediator of a Better Covenant.established on Better Promises;

Hebrews 7:19 (for the law made nothing perfect); but on the other hand, a better hope is introduced, through which we draw near to God.

Did I catch that?-- a better hope is introduced, THROUGH WHICH we draw near to God.
Praise God for Grace,  Jesus is Grace.